MATT'S COLLECTIBLES

ANTIQUE MEDICINES

Dr G W Merchant

 

 

Dr George W. Merchant started making his Celebrated Gargling Oil in 1833 in Lockport NY.
Dr Merchant started out in "Lower Town" and moved to "Upper Town" in 1836. The product had a long continuous sales history up until 1928 when the factory finally burned down. The company ownership changed hands at least 3 or 4 times in the 19th century.


 

DR. Merchant's product was marketed for both humans and animals.




1847 Ad for Merchant's Gargling Oil.  Product was sold in a white wrapper for Human use and a yellow wrapper for Animal use.
 



G.W. MERCHANT LOCKPORT, NY
Many of the early Merchant bottles were made at the Lockport Glass Works. Lockport Glass Works operated from 1840 to 1872 when it eventually became Mansfield Glass. The unique teal green color is termed "Lockport Green" and sought after by collectors. The factory also made a number of bitters, historic flasks, and other bottles. Not all their bottles were in the "green" color.
 



This 1840 ad for Dr Atkinson's Nipple Liniment shows G W Merchant initially dabbled in various patent medicines before his Gargling Oil became a huge hit. These products were apparently dropped as the emphasis was placed on the Gargling Oil sales.


'+' mold mark found on some Merchant's bottles


An early G W Merchant bottle made in aqua color.



Another early Merchant product was G W Merchant's Compound Kreosote Tooth Ache Drops. (note Creosote is spelled wrong). Merchant also made Pomatum Hair Dressing and Tyrian Hair Dye as early as 1837.
 


An 1849 notice describes Alabama Oak Orchard acid mineral water being sold by Dr Merchant.



G.W. MERCHANTS CARBONIC MINERAL WATER LOCKPORT N.Y.
This rare torpedo mineral water was an early Merchant product. Dr Merchant did quite a bit of business in mineral waters.




G W Merchant Chemist Lockport N.Y.
Merchant Chemist cylinder
 


An 1848 ad warns of the copycat products. A common worry for the few medicine makers who had wildly successful products.
 

 

FROM THE LABORATORY OF G W MERCHANT CHEMIST LOCKPORT, N.Y.


Another ad in 1850 continues the warning for fake products.


An 1874 Almanac shows the different sizes of bottles sold.



Compound Fluid Extract of Buchu, Uva Ursi and Cubebs product advertised in 1852
 


Early Baseball trade card advertising Merchant's Gargling Oil
 


Later G W Merchant bottle
 

 




In 1852 the Post Office Department started allowing companies to print their own stamped envelopes. The Merchant's Gargling Oil Company took advantage of this to advertise its products. The envelopes were distributed free for people to use. 
 

 
 RETURN TO MAIN BOTTLES PAGE